Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On 9/24/07, Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> Le lundi 24 septembre 2007 à 11:34 +0200, Ali Sabil a écrit :
> > > Then can you explain us how ICE can help when STUN does not ? I would
> > > like to see your argumentation here.
> > >
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but STUN is generally about finding your
> > external IP address, and determining the type of NAT you are sitting
> > behind, it is just a subset of the techniques needed to achieve a
> > quite reliable NAT traversal. ICE as a method, makes use of STUN among
> > others. So I don't see why you oppose STUN to ICE ?
>
> Simply because in most of the cases the "STUN part" of ICE is enough.
> STUN won't work when you are behind Symmetric NAT, in that case you should use
> a TURN server.
>
> I know no public TURN server.
>
> So there are still plenty of cases where ICE proposes a solution that does
> not really help.
>
> Although TURN will almost always provide connectivity to a client, it
> comes at high cost to the provider of the TURN server. It is therefore
> desirable to use TURN as a last resort only, preferring other mechanisms
> (such as STUN or direct connectivity) when possible.

Thank you for the explanation :)

> > > I had decided not to participate to that thread, but there are always
> > > people who do not know what they are talking about. What a pity.
> >
> > I am sorry if I don't know what am talking about, it is just that
> > Ekiga never worked reliably for me !
>
> And did empathy allow you to do a SIP connection using ICE in a reliable
> way ?

Nop. I don't think that SIP nor H323 are usable for me.

Anyway, I am sorry if I offended you in anyway, we can have another
discussion about Ekiga if you are interested in having some feedback,
I think the main topic for this thread is Empathy, not Empathy vs.
Ekiga.

--
Ali