Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 22:17 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 16:00 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> > Needless duplication of work covered by Pidgin and Ekiga (and, so far,
> > done better). This is a reimplementation of the wheel.
>
> Empathy is a UI around an IM platform which totally replaces the
> single-application model of pidgin, ekiga, gossip and every other IM
> client.  With Empathy I can go online when I login and using the same
> Jabber connection chat in Empathy, see presence in Evolution, and
> transfer files in nautilus.  I'll be logged into the Jabber server once,
> and the connection is shared between them.

what about IRC? Would we need to have xchat around if using empathy? As
you say, having all those apps not share anything but the network cable
is a pain for users, so I'm all for having a single backend to manage
messaging, included IRC.

Also, if it provides a library/backend to be shared amongst apps,
can/will Ekiga use that?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>