Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On 9/27/07, Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 27 septembre 2007 à 00:48 +0200, Sven Herzberg a écrit :
> > Next question: consistency with the platform
> >
> > The GNOME platform uses LGPL as the license of choice to provide ISVs
> > with a powerful stack that anyone can use - even to build proprietary
> > software.
> >
> > You say, you took code from gossip - which is GPL.
> >
> > How do you plan to mess with this? Introduce a GPL-only library into the
> > platform? Get the code relicensed?
>
> The target for Empathy is the desktop, not the platform. I don't think
> this is a problem for the desktop, as it already happened - the
> gtksourceview example comes to mind.

I think that libempathy belongs to the platform as empathy from what I
understood is mainly a set of widgets that applications can reuse.
Probably trying to relicense to LGPL is maybe something that should be
done sooner than later. (to avoid any possible duplication later)

--
Ali