Re: libcanberra as an external dependency

Am Donnerstag, den 07.08.2008, 11:59 -0400 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> It seems to me there is a fundamental problem with adding libcanberra as
> an external dependency.  It currently only supports ALSA and pulseaudio
> audio output.  However, the default sounds daemon for GNOME is still
> esound.  The BSDs and Solaris do not support ALSA, so this leaves them a
> tough choice for sound events.  Pulseaudio replaces esd, but it is not a
> blessed GNOME dependency.
>
> I think libcanberra must have an esd output plug-in at the very least
> (i.e. if not also OSS and Sun Audio) in order to be a viable external
> dependency.  This would go a long way to helping non-Linux platforms
> achieve working sound theme support using all blessed GNOME dependencies.

AFAIK an EDS backend would be quite pointless considering the latency
this adds. What about directly adding OSS and Sun Audio backends? AFAIK
Lennart designed Pulseaudio to support different backends.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/