Re: New svn module: gnome-sound-theme

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> On Wed, 13.08.08 14:54, Bastien Nocera (hadess hadess net) wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 15:28 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> > For s-t-f i made sure only to include CC, GPL and LGPL licensed
>> > files. (see the readme). Some of the sounds that come from gnome-audio
>> > are CC-SA 2.0 however, which is not good enough for Debian. Which
>> > makes them good canidates to be replaced.
>> I'm sure the authors of those files can be co-axed into better licenses.
>> I thought this one would be enough to be considered free. FWIW, no
>> Debian developer ever contacted me about a licensing problem.
> They already contacted me, though.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses#Debian
>
> I was a bit too lazy however to pursue the relicensing, especially
> since it doesn't really matter for the company/distro I work for and
> apparently was fine in g-a all the time.

Probably a stupid idea but still worth the blind shot in my opinion.
Couldn't GNOME Foundation board or some other entity contact Google
and ask for a GPL/LGPL/whatever licensed version of the sounds Google
uses in their various apps including their web chat and Google Talk?

It won't cost a penny either for us or for them. Google is known for
their support for OpenSource and they already share some of their
achievements under permissive licenses.

Flame on.

--
Patryk Zawadzki