Re: Reduced Bugzilla functionality for 6+ months -- acceptable?

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 12:56 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
>
> > - patch review status
>
> Maybe time to investigate Review Board or the like?

I haven't tried that kind of programs, but I think that any solution for
reviewing patches has to be tightly tied to bugzilla itself (and I
personally quite like the current solution, though I understand it's not
very handy for big changes with many diffs), as that seems an easy way
to me to attract users to jump in and contribute a patch.

> > - simple-dup-finder
>
> Suggest we move crashes out of Bugzilla and into a separate database
> (like Socorro).  Bugzilla should only be for hand-written input from
> technical people.

Technically, bug-buddy is already capable of creating minidumps and push
them to a crash.gnome.org server, and this would be great indeed, but
AFAICT it requires a lot of coordination between us and distributions to
provide:
- a way for distributors to automatically push debug information to a
centralized server for every package/update.
- an unified way to get the version of a package, as distributors often
ship two or more updates for the same upstream version.

To be honest, I like more the way Ubuntu handles this, i.e. has its own
crash server and pushes upstream only the good/unique traces.

Cheers,

Cosimo