Re: Sound effects

Iain * wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
>
>> Oh right, that was my other point.  Now that's like sayin "the applications
>> should ship their icons, we don't need an icon theme".
>
> Applications do ship their icons. We need an icon theme for the common
> icons that are shared between applications.

Right.  Common as in "character-map", "terminal", "text-editor"?  Those are
shared between GNOME and KDE, not shared between applications...

> I'm arguing that there is only one common sound required to share
> between applications.

And your argument is "whatever that doesn't fit is not common."  Which really
makes me ask the same question: why did you even bother writing such a long
email.  Just don't use the theme.

>> Note that last word,
>> it's a sound *theme*.  How do you get a "Startrek" sound theme if it's up to
>> applications to ship their sounds?!
>
> How do you get a tango icon theme if its up to applications to ship
> their own icons?

No.  How do you get tango icon theme, and funky icon them, and klunky icon
theme, and bluesie icon theme.  A theme is not a theme if you can't change it :).

> Most applications now ship tango icons, and they look somewhat out of
> place if my icon theme isn't tango

Ehem.  Which is exactly the problem of the approach you preach.  You're
removing the question.  You're saying "don't want to change themes".  You are
NOT proposing a solution.

> How do you get a star trek theme that has a "printer has finished
> printing" sound effect that fits in?

Have William Shatner record it :P.

behdad