Re: GSOC 2008 advice

I think the idea of SoC is more of to work on more innovative and also
longer ideas, and the projects are supposed to be a bit longer.

Another idea is to complete the Mathusalem SoC project that was started
a few years back and then abandoned. For those who don't remember, it
was a "task manager" for the system that would be a centralized system
to replace all of the individual progress bars that different programs
have. See http://live.gnome.org/Mathusalem

Having something like this would help towards the goal of removing
unnecessary dialog boxes, make things more organized, and could probably
be used in interesting ways. (It could automatically inhibit suspend for
example whenever any task is running, and the shutdown dialog could be
modified to warn about running tasks to prevent accidental shutdowns in
the middle of a download).
The git repo seems to be broken for it, but the last version available
of it is still available here:
http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~frecinau/tar/mathusalem-0.0.4.tar.bz2

Good luck