Some info (Ref: GSOC 2008 advice)

Hi, I'm new on this list.

Luis Vila encouraged me to send some info to this list, so here goes:

Disclaimer: I'm not a developer, just an avid user of Gnome and
various eye candy. I especially follow Screenlets and AWN closely.

There seems to be some uncertainty towards the nature of Screenlets.
Here is a short update:

Background:
RYX (Rico Pfaus) is the original author of Screenlets. He is no longer
working on Compiz Fusion or Screenlets, it seems. Screenlets
development has been taken over by Whise (Helder Fraga), mainly.
screenlets.org hasn't been updated for ages (except by spam bots...),
because noone wanting to do something had access to it, until 2-4 days
ago. Now that has changed.

Now:
- Screenlets does not rely on compositing support
- Screenlets does support html widgets by the use of WidgetScreenlet

Aantn (don't know his real name) is working on a universal applet
system. He is also heavily involved in AWN. He is taking Screenlets a
step further by making it possible to use it as a backend for both
Screenlets and AWN applets. (Basically, drag a screenlet to the dock
to actually dock it, drag it off to detach it and have it as a free
standing app on the desktop. IMO that could be huge from a user
perspective with regards to eye candy and coolness.)

I think that a widget related SoC-project
could do one or both of the following:
- Making Screenlets into an engine that can run both html/iframe
widgets, python based screenlets and maybe some other things
- Further the development of aantn's project of making a common system
for screenlets/applets.

Basically, a situation where we have a backend/engine that runs python
screenlets, html/iframe widgets, gdesklets, adesklets, KDE's
plasmoids, etc. would be a huge achievement.

Hopefully, I remembered the most important stuff, otherwise please
ask, and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.