Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

Am Montag, den 21.01.2008, 11:57 +0100 schrieb Wouter Bolsterlee:
> 2008-01-20 klockan 23:31 skrev Travis Watkins:
> > 2008/1/20 Wouter Bolsterlee <uws+gnome xs4all nl>:
> > > 2008-01-18 klockan 09:49 skrev Olav Vitters:
> > > [snip]
> > > The main issue seems to be the "ugliness" of the DOAP format. Well, DOAP is
> > > just a small ontology based on RDF, and RDF has many syntaxes, RDF-XML being
> > > just one. Additionally, the same information, i.e. all (subject, predicate,
> > > object) triples in a graph, can be serialized into different RDF-XML
> > > representation. RDF-XML is by no means a canonical representation.
> > >
> > > But let's get back to my first note: RDF-XML is just one of many RDF
> > > representations. May I suggest Turtle [1] (or N3 [2], but I prefer Turtle for
> > > various reasons).
> > > [snip]
>
> > Err, that's the same thing minus some angle brackets. It doesn't look
> > like that much of an improvement and every language has an XML parser
> > already so it'd be easier to use the XML version.
>
> That is just not true. If you had carefully read my message, you would have
> noted that RDF-XML is by no means a canonical representation. The same
> information can be encoded using a totally different XML snippet with
> totally different tag names and attributes, while still being valid RDF. For
> this reason a "simple" XML parser won't work at all---you'd need a RDF
> parser anyway, e.g. from librdf/libraptor.

Yes, the Turtle representation looks much more human friendly than the
XML variant. If we really shall directly put DOAP files into our repos,
I'd clearly prefer the Turtle variant over the XML version.

Still the Turtle representation has all this namespace boilerplate. I
really doubt we should to add yet another layer of boilerplate to our
projects. GNOME uses far too much boilerplate code already...

Also the rdf:about="http://clutter-project.org/"; attribute seems to be
redundant with the homepage element.

Well, and using Turtle instead of XML doesn't address those concerns:

  - DOAP replicates some information found in the AUTHORS file
  - DOAP's release tags replicate information found in ChangeLog,
    NEWS and on FTP servers
  - DOAP's repository support is limited to SVN, BK, CVS and Arch.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/