Re: build system alternatives (Was: Using vala in GNOME)

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 12:19 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
[..]

Also, I find it funny that people that do not actually use either XCode
or Visual Studio claim that supporting them is crucial.  Again, I don't
trust that judgement without proof (statistics).  Now, I do know a few
developers that use Visual Studio and can't live without it.  But among
GNOME developers I have serious doubts anyone uses one of those IDEs.

Exactly because we don't have Visual Studio/XCode integration.
But adding them we would increase the developers that would be able to contribute to GNOME significantly. How do you expect Mac/Windows developers to contribute to GNOME if they can't even build it in their environment?

These arguments applies to the part of the stack that are usable outside of Linux/X11 which are not all of them. But we are starting to see more and more applications (Gimp, Evolution etc) that are ported to non-X11 platforms.

From my point of view, Gtk+ & the stack below dominates the platform.
What they will use will eventually be propagated up in the upper part of the platform stack.

The contribution barrier for GNOME is way to high as it is today, I'm merely trying to reduce it by allowing developers from other (as in non-unix) backgrounds be able to contribute.

Johan