Re: Proposed external dependency: libcanberra

On Mon, 28.07.08 15:50, Xavier Claessens (xclaesse gmail com) wrote:

> Le lundi 28 juillet 2008 à 00:36 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> > Homepage: ?
> > Proposal on d-d-l: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-July/msg00075.html
> > License: LGPLv2 or later (I believe)
> >
> > Short description:
> > ==================
> > libcanberra is a sound event library implementing the XDG sound
> > theming/naming specs.
> >
> > Summary so far:
> > ===============
> >  + no real comment so far
> >
> > Vincent
>

> I have a question: Is libcanberra-gtk the definitive library or is there
> plans to move the code directly into GTK+? Or is there good reason to
> have it outside GTK+? The API could be
> gtk_widget_play_sound(GtkWidget *widget, uint32_t id, ...);

For now I see no reason to do this.

It might be a good thing to do this eventually, to allow tighter
integration of sounds with input events (i.e. instead of hooking into
all kinds of signals via the GtkModule we could make gtk call those
functions directly). But the question then would be how much to
actually move into gtk. Only lc-gtk? The entire lc? The entire lc
would mean moving a complete set of backends for the various sound
systems into gtk. Would that be a good idea? Dunno. Just lc-gtk? Would
that be sufficient? Also, the raw lc api is still very much visible
through lc-gtk, since lc-gtk is not an abstraction, just a bit of glue
code. Would it be such a good thing then to add it to gtk? also, what
would be the real benefit of moving only lc-gtk into gtk? it's now
shipped with lc, it would then be shipped with gtk. You'd need both
packages anyway, so it would not exactly help on our "dependency hell
issue", would it?

lc is still pretty new. Let's keep it outside of gtk for now. See how
things work out and maybe merge it or parts of it later.

So, it's not a no, or a yes. But a "maybe later".

Lennart