Re: Proposed module: conduit

Am Mittwoch, den 30.07.2008, 22:56 +1200 schrieb John Stowers:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:44 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I failed to figure out how to upload (or sync) photos
> > from a local folder to flickr. I did manage to drag rectangles for
> > flickr and a folder to the canvas.
>
> Did you read the help documentation?

With that question you described best, why Conduit is not ready for
GNOME inclusion yet: No GNOME application, really no single one should
require studying a manual for doing absolutely basic operations.

Despite that Conduit looks really promising, but it still needs a lot of
UI love, and UI love is a quite central topic in GNOME - IMHO.

* For me it was hard to figure out, that some of the icons in the left
can act as synchronization source __and__ as sink.
* I only figured out by accident, that I can drop targets in the box
drawn by some synchronization source.
* I've dropped some "Network" sink and it is connected to the source by
some red line. What does this color mean? I cannot figure out how to
configure or even just remove that seemingly useless sink.
* Guess I'd already help if the Conduit canvas would follow established
practice and provide graphical hints when some place within the canvas
would accept dropping of something. For instance you could place a
translucent but linked version of the dragged item within source boxes
which can accept the item:

|  +------------+                      +---------------+  |
|  | Home       |----------------------| Backup Folder |  |
|  | Ready      |       :              | Ready         |  |
|  +------------+       :              +---------------+  |
|                       :                                 |
|                       :              . - - - - - - - .  |
|                       '- - - - - - - : Something New :  |
|                                      : Preview       :  |
|                                      ' - - - - - - - '  |
|  +------------+                                         '
|  | Photos     '

* Also it would help if some artist would take care about the canvas and
apply sane padding and line widths. It'd also help to apply theme colors
instead of randomly chosen colors. My desktop theme uses decent
gradients for UI elements. There are no gradients at all in the Conduit
canvas.

Ciao
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/