Re: Proposal: enable accessibility by default for GNOME

On jeu, 2008-07-31 at 13:14 +0800, Tao, Miao wrote:
> I think what we did here is for a better user experiences to
> accessibility users, just like what Will said, it's far easier for
> someone without a disability to turn it off than it is for a person with
> a disability to turn it on.

At installation of the distro you already need some accessibility, so I
think it's distro's responsibility to ask in an accessible-way the user
if he wants accessibility turned on or not at the first stage of the
installation of the system. Depending on what the user answers it's
distro's responsibility to enable/disable it in GNOME.

Another way is to enable/disable depending on the presence of special
accessibility hardware connected.

And finally, we could have an option in GDM to enable accessibility for
the new login, like pressing F7 or clicking a button somewhere...

So my opinion is there is no reason to enable it by default for people
that don't need it, but we should instead make sure it's damn easy for
people with disabilities to enable it.

Xavier Claessens.