Re: Need Leadership

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Havoc Pennington <hp pobox com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/6/21 Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com>:
>> In my opinion, whatever "The Next-Gen Gnome" is, it isn't going to happen
>> until we really, really have a deep maintenance cycle going on here. That
>> means fixing a Handful of Giant Warts on our maintenance process:
>
> I bet the next-gen gnome will happen when someone writes it. I would
> suggest people think in terms of getting something going by
> themselves, and once it's at least roughly usable, think about
> recruiting 2 or 3 or 5 other people to the project. But getting
> hundreds of people to agree up front isn't too likely. Think 5 not
> 500.

+1. This is not a gigantic company- you don't have to persuade the
management to get permission to innovate. You have the code, and
potentially you have the idea. So JFDI. If it is worthwhile, more
people will come.

git wouldn't hurt- anything that makes innovation by one person
/easier/ (like DVCS) gets us closer to the day someone runs off and
does Something Really Interesting. But like Havoc said the lack of it
isn't an excuse either.

Luis