Re: Semantics (was: Re: desktop-devel-list Digest, Vol 50, Issue 26)

2008-06-23 klockan 21:01 skrev Anders Feder:
> A subset, yes, but as Wouter points out Tracker is XESAM-based which
> 'only' cover simple query cases, so certain advanced SPARQL queries (in
> particular 'join'-like operations) would map rather poorly into XESAM.
>
> How such queries would be handled by a translator is undefined. In
> theory, one could do something like constructing the actual graph
> resulting from i.e. a join operation in memory, but that is really quite
> a hack that doesn't scale well for big data sets.
>
> I've communicated with both Tracker and XESAM maintainers and they
> appear quite skeptical about RDF/SPARQL support in the short- to
> mid-term.

The Tracker developers have shown to be particularly ignorant of any
RDF/SPARQL related subjects in the past. See for example the messages I've
sent to the "Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18" thread [1] on
desktop-devel-list one and a half years ago: [2--7]. The messages linked to
are all by me, but you may also find the comments by Ross Burton useful. The
thread is quite large so don't even try to read all of it... :)

  mvrgr, Wouter

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00175.html
[2] http://markmail.org/message/nj6ecn42xda4sq6x
[3] http://markmail.org/message/3hbuioopc5ib7uuq
[4] http://markmail.org/message/brt26slkzbwew3dw
[5] http://markmail.org/message/rl4ae2quaes6e5pd
[6] http://markmail.org/message/roa6qjkhomi4cgpw
[7] http://markmail.org/message/2jt5l2yz6wyxdqux
--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

spread your love like a fever                 -- black rebel motorcycle club