Re: gnome-session proposal

Hey Lennart,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> On Wed, 25.06.08 19:07, William Jon McCann (mccann jhu edu) wrote:
>
>> We can still support applications that only know if they should
>> inhibit "just in time" by emitting a signal when a logout is
>> requested.  The applications can then take an inhibit in response to
>> that signal.
>
> This part sounds racy. Is it?

It is.  Logout is a racy proposition.  We should strongly recommend
that people use the Inhibit API.

> Apropos, since we are talking about session management here: have you
> guys ever thought of reuseíng upstart for managing session processes? The
> problem that an init system and a session manager have is the same:
> doing lifecycle management of processes and all kinds of fancy
> monitoring of them.

Right, the launchd approach.  While launchd was designed for this I'm
not sure upstart was.  Not sure though.  In any case, we'll still need
to come up with a reasonable API for applications to use.

Jon