Re: Need Leadership

On 6/27/08, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> Hej hej Thomas!,
>
>  Am Freitag, den 27.06.2008, 14:16 +0200 schrieb Thomas H.P. Andersen:
>
> > Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I should have told you my position and
>  > motivation for this. I'm about to start the last year of my master and
>  > will soon start doing job interviews. By "diploma" I meant a nicely
>  > laid out document summarizing my contributions to gnome. I feel that
>  > what I have learned from doing gnome stuff is almost as important as
>  > my degree
>

> definitely the same for me.
>

>  > and I would like to be able to document that at a job interview.
>

> it's all open source, so your contributions are public. you can link to
>  them in your CV. you have statistic pages in gnome bugzilla, you have
>  wikipages (with static links and fake beards *g*), you have ohloh.net
>  and cia.vc, you have mailing list archives, you have google queries.
>  no need for "official-looking documents" if your potential employer only
>  knows a little bit about software projects, from my point of view.

Yeah, all those sites are there, but you are thinking in
this-century-enabled people. It's not a work only thing also, some
people might be happy to hang it on the wall.
Maybe it's a bit of a corner case, but the two times I had to ask a
visa for guadec I was asked "and don't you have a document that
ackownledges your participation in this?", smiling a lot fixes the
issue, but just wanted to comment it as an example of people that do
prefer to receive old fashion printed certs and docs.

In the worst case, it's just a sheet of paper, we can do it anyway and
if people prints it, good for them.