Re: gnome-session proposal

2008/6/27 Andrew Cowie <andrew operationaldynamics com>:
> I've been very happy with stable and trunk Metacity with compositing
> enabled, but the 2-3 second pause to redraw windows when changing
> workspaces is really staggering.

Complain to the developers of your X driver to make their XRender faster.
I don't see any lag on my systems. While I don't doubt that Metacity
might be able to be faster in this area, I think the main problem is
just bad XRender implementations but people keep complaining to the
wrong place.

http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=820

> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 17:43 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> > Metacity's compositor works pretty well here except for slow workspace
>> > switching.
>>
>> That should be addressed separately by switching from many-desktops
>> mode to small-viewport-over-a-large-desktop mode.
>
> Can that be done (is this the right solution for the Metacity hackers to
> follow)?

As Havoc said there's no right or wrong answer. Pick one and stick with it.

>  If so, will this be "hard"?

I'd imagine so, as it would probably require a fairly hefty rewrite of
a lot of the code for gain that we're not even sure we'll get.

iain