Using vala in GNOME

I've been implementing some parts of seahorse (and maybe soon
gnome-keyring) in Vala.

http://live.gnome.org/Vala

I'm assuming this is an acceptable thing for a gnome module to do, as it
adds no new dependencies (build-time or run-time).

However it does add a 'hacking' dependency. That is, obviously if
someone wants to get involved in those portions of seahorse that are
written in vala, they'd need to build vala (which is easy to do).

I believe this is an acceptable tradeoff, since seahorse and
gnome-keyring have most of their code contributed by a small number of
people ... and using vala speeds up development for that small number of
people.

Barring any objections, the next release of seahorse will contain some
vala code.

Cheers,

Stef Walter