Re: Low memory hacks

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:59:03PM +0300, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
> It seems that if you don't use calendar you can just remove bonobo
> server files for GNOME_Evolution_Calendar_2.10.server and you'll get
> much faster Evolution and a lot of free memory.
>
> I added this and some more hacks I'm using to the page:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/MemoryReduction/LowMemoryHacks

Hi all,

I tried some of Nickolay's suggestions on a common setup (32bit intel
Ubuntu 7.10). Then I did some measurements with exmap and added the
results to the bottom of the wiki page.

In summary, you can save:

    * > 500kb by using "Simple" instead of "Clearlooks"
    * 4500kb by removing the Evolution calendar component
    * about 2500kb-3000kb by removing all libpurple protocol plugins
      except the one you use
    * 38500kb by not using trackerd and the Tracker applet (tracker is
      an equivalent to beagle mentioned on the wiki page)
    * 15500kb by removing your distribution's (e.g. ubuntu's) apps
      from session startup (bluetooth-applet, nm-applet,
       gnome-power-manager)
    * 16000kb by not running nautilus [1]

I have just done the measurements, not yet examined it in much detail.

Any comments, suggestions, requests?

Thanks,

Rodney

[1] BTW I'm not advocating not running any file manager! It was just a
    measurement I did.