Re: GNOME 2.23 Schedule

2008/3/17, Felipe Contreras <felipe contreras gmail com>:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Felipe Contreras
>  >  <felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
>  >  > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 20:50 +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>  >  >  >  > Still the input from the user-base is not considered?
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  > How much a simple most-wanted-feature poll could hurt?
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  Do the poll entries come with patches attached?  If there is a feature
>  >  >  >  missing then file a bug and either wait for someone else to code it, pay
>  >  >  >  someone to code it, or code it yourself.
>  >  >
>  >  >  I find it difficult to achieve the 10x10 goal without knowing what the
>  >  >  users really want.
>  >
>  >  And I find it difficult to think that online polling indicates what
>  >  the users want (especially the 9.9999999% of the x10% who don't
>  >  already use GNOME.)
>  >
>  >  http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/904-why-we-disagree-with-don-norman
>

> I looked quickly at the article, and it appears to me that basically
>  what is saying is:
>  designing for yourself is good
>
>  While I agree that eating your own dog food is good; I don't think
>  that's a reason to stop looking for what your users need.
>
>  This video would explain why it's good to search for what users need
>  much better than I could:
>  http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/20
>
>  What I had in mind was something like Firefox's feature brainstorm[1]
>  or Dell's ideastorm[2].
>
>  Best regards.
>
>  [1] http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Feature_Brainstorming
>  [2] http://www.dellideastorm.com/

And yes, there are Ubuntu brainstorm too, and two most popular
requests last time I checked was make suspend work magically without
glitch everywhere and make GNOME capable to manage any network
connection type.

Surprisingly, both of these requests already have software which
handle this, they just require help. But first one is at mercy of
totally broken ACPI on many, many laptops, and random behavior of
binary drivers, and second one just wait for patches and testing for
NM and GST network-admin. Ironically, NM introduced GPRS configuration
for PPP device, but so far (as I know) I tried fully to test it.

Anyway, more testing and patches for kernel/hal and nm/gst would help
much better.

Peter.