Re: install-module on master.gnome.org

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:13:05PM +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> > Install-module is not the only place where x.y.z is expected. I'm
> > planning to rewrite install-module in Python and hopefully I can add
> > something that handles the .0 case; together with .exe files.
> >
> > Note that it will be much stricter than currently (you can easily
> > re-release the same version number).
> >
> Thanks for the info. Will a X.Y version scheme be supported, or should I better
> switch to a X.Y.Z scheme?

I'd appreciate a switch to x.y.z. I now know not to assume x.y.z and
ensure x.y is possible (meaning: sort of works like now + changes/news..
but no diff). However, better to use x.y.z (then you know it is a minor
change.. so install-module can assume a .diff is ok).

The things I want to focus on is:
- checking of sane versions (no 'rc1' 'beta1' etc)
- sanity checking the tar.gz/bz2 (gtk+ had a release where the tar.gz
  was 2x bigger than it should be.. I want to be able to detect such
  things)
- .exe (so people can easily upload
- preparing possible GPG integration (allowing only known maintainers to
  upload their modules.. not about signing)
- sha1 instead of md5 (but I have to discuss that)

Blue sky:
- lz/7z?

--
Regards,