Re: Proposed external dep: PolicyKit

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:
I do not think it is a problem for PolicyKit to be an external
dependency for GNOME.  However, there will probably be people at Sun
working to #ifdef out PolicyKit code in the modules that tend to get
shipped with Solaris.  From Sun's perspective, I think it would be best
if PolicyKit were considered more of an optional dependency.

If Sun wants to do something completely different from what the rest of the community is doing, it seems like the responsibility for bearing the consequences of that course of action should lay squarely on the shoulders of Sun's engineering teams.

Since there appears to be a clear way forward for you to write some layer of compatibility with your different way, I don't understand why we should hold back on mandatory dependencies.