Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D?= instead of ""

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 10:45 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> My objection may seem silly, but since there is no way to type it on any
> keyboard out there, that's a bit of a hindrance. Short of using the
> character map and searching, one has to resolve to using "smart
> substitution" editors like OpenOffice to get the characters.

There ought to be compose key sequences for the various
types of quotation marks.  According to the references
I can find, Compose+<+" should give a curly left double
quote, but it doesn't seem to work on my machine.

The character map should *really* list the compose key
sequence for a character in the Character Details tab.

> They also tend to fail horribly when pasting into a non-Unicode
> terminal, which is still often the case over SSH. Probably not a huge
> desktop consideration, though. Every distribution I know of uses Unicode
> by default on the local terminal at this point.

This is indeed a problem.  On numerous occasions, I've
had to put away my "ssh && emacs -nw" and use gedit to
open a remote file, because Unicode got garbled over
the wire.

--
Shaun