Re: Quotation marks: Using =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D?= instead of ""

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 17:36 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Honestly, other than being pedantic, I don't see the
> > problem with UTF-8 in the C locale.  Does it cause
> > any *actual* problems?  I've never once gotten a bug
> > report against g-d-u about this.
>
> Sort order, comparisons, printing, string lengths when using locale aware
> functions, and no doubt a few more that for the moment have escaped me.
>
> Use the tools to spec and you get reliable predictable results, do
> otherwise and it all gets sloppy and buggy. Would you rely on undefined C
> behaviour in Gnome code ?
>
> The discussions about it being work are also bollocks (to use a fine bit
> of en_GB). Make was invented to handle such trivial tasks for you.

OK, time for a concrete example.  I'm writing a dialog
with the following message:

  The file “%s” could not be found.

This is a message that gets put onto a gray box on the
screen.  It's not put into any sort of list that gets
sorted.  I'm not comparing it to anything or taking its
length (and if I were, I'd use the GLib functions which
Do The Right Thing).

If I have to use the en translation, then I have to put
this string in the source code:

  The file "%s" could not be found.

Then I have to run 'intltool-update en', open en.po,
and add the translation.  That's more steps, none of
which involve make.  How does make help me?

--
Shaun