Re: new module proposal: notification-daemon+libnotify

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:09 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2008, at 17:38, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >
> > But not all notifications comes from applications launched by the
> > user.
> > For example
> >
> > "There is a high probability that one or more of your hard disk will
> >  malfunction within the next 24 hours"
> >
> > "Your laptop battery is being recalled"
> >
> > "Security updates available"
> >
> > I'm not sure where we'd display stuff like this except for using icons
> > in the notification area.
>
> Some sort of status icon change with an appropriate tooltip would
> probably be sufficient for things that don't need immediate
> attention.  For things that do, or for which there is no status icon,
> an alert box is often more appropriate anyway.

wasn't libnotify/notification-daemon created to replace alert boxes? I
tend to find them quite useless, since I miss them most of the time
while typing without looking at the screen, so I don't think they are a
good solution for immediate attention stuff
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>