Re: Proposal GNOME Goal: Replace gnome_help and gnome-open calls with gtk_show_uri

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Jaap A. Haitsma <jaap haitsma org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quite some people already are implementing this goal
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveGnomeOpenGnomeHelp
>
> What about making it an official goal for GNOME 2.26?

Would it make sense to have an official policy to accept goals
proposed on d-d-l after a few days without protests? It seems to me
that a lot of goals never took off because they were never officially
blessed.

Comments on the gnome help goal:
We might as well set the screen correctly rather than just pass NULL.
The goal might as well suggest to use gtk_widget_get_screen on the
window to get the screen. The window is used later in the example
anyway.

This is the definition of the gnome goals taken from l.g.o/GnomeGoals:
"Setting small concrete goals that we should all try to achieve could
definitely help with our work in integration and consistency. The
goals may vary a lot, don't need to be ambitious, don't need to be
about code. But they need to be achievable in a small timeframe. They
are the GNOME goals."
In light of this I would suggest to narrow the scope of this
particular goal to only handle modules using C. This would make it
both more concrete and easier to achieve in a small timeframe.

Lastly, while on the topic of gnome goals,  I hate the ambiguous "to
do" status. Currently I am not able to tell if it means that no one
has investigated if the module is affected by the goal or if it means
that there is work to be done for that module.

- thomas