Re: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

2008/11/24 Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com>:

> Q: Why is system wide better?
> A: There's no point doing the data collection, statistics profiling and
> calculations in every session on a multiuser workstation. There's also
> the point that at GDM you run a g-p-m instance, which doesn't have
> access to the profiling data you generate in the session, and so you get
> "unknown time remaining".
>

> Q: Yet another system daemon?!?
> A: No, all the DeviceKit daemons are system activated and low footprint,
> so if you don't need them they don't get started.

If the DeviceKit-power daemon does data collection and stuff,
shouldn't it be then running all the time (and as soon during the boot
process as possible)?

What about DeviceKit-disks and S.M.A.R.T. monitoring (which I think it does):
If the service is only started as soon as you log in and start an
application like palimpsest, isn't there a risk that we could miss
important events, i.e. shouldn't DeviceKit-disks not also be started
as soon as possible and running all the time?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?