PackageKit FUD, Was: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

On 11/25/08, Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> wrote:
> It is also very unlikely that Debian embraces PackageKit as long as its
> target feature set is stick to the RPM capabilities.

Please don't spread FUD, it's just not true. Please do some research
before making ridiculous claims like that. At the moment, PackageKit
works with apt, alpm, box, conary, opkg, pisi, poldek, smart, urpmi,
yum and zypp. It even has functionality that cannot work with rpm and
yum, so this really isn't an RPM focused thing...

> After discussing
> this issue with Ubuntu maintainers, I think the same will probably hold
> for Ubuntu since we pretty much agreed.

Err, PackageKit is currently planned to be shipped in Ubuntu. I'm not
sure who you talked to, but there are developers working on converting
gnome-app-install and the Ubuntu update viewer to using the PackageKit
API.

> Furthermore, Synaptic is already integrated in totem (through
> gnome-app-install)

That's not integration. Any time you're running a separate GTK
application as root it's _fail-o-clock_ time.

> and nautilus to install new applications and codecs,
> so we are ahead of what PackageKit promises to achieve, and we would
> actually lose functionality by switching to it.

Have you seen some of the things we're doing now with PackageKit?
See http://www.packagekit.org/pk-screenshots.html for stuff you can do
right now.

Even better, join the PackageKit mailing list, and ask questions there.

Richard.