Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 16:20 +0200, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> 2008-10-23 klockan 15:53 skrev Bastien Nocera:
> > I'd be interested in getting gnome-user-share into GNOME 2.26.
>
> Hi Bastien,
>
> Great to hear this.
>
> This is definitely a +1 from me. Not being able to easily transfer a file
> from my computer to e.g. a colleague's or friend's laptop without relying on
> a web server (which you need to configure) or using a USB thumb drive is a
> major annoyance.
>
> Bonus points if I can right click a file/folder in Nautilus and share it
> instantly by clicking a menu item (perhaps this will symlinkit into
> ~/Public), after which the url of the file is shown in a dialog so that I
> can easily c/p it to e.g. a chat window.

This is probably more a job for nautilus-sendto, for sharing files over
the Internet. I already have some plans there for pastebin/image sharing
sites[1] integration, it would certainly be fairly straight forward to
add, say, Dropbox support.

> Beers if Epiphany users (or users of other browsers that support Avahi
> bookmarks) will have bookmarks pointing to that file/folder.

That would be easy. Epiphany needs to also look for _webdav._tcp, or
gnome-user-share needs to advertise _http._tcp as well. File a bug
against the component you think should do the change :)

Cheers

[1]: not Flickr, but more the fire and forget, show a screenshot kind of
site