Re: libproxy as external dependency

2008/10/24 Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr>:
> - yet another library, slowing applications startup.

Actually, I've been thinking about this problem lately. Why don't
people use dlopen() more often? If you use a library in your app which
is not intrinsically essential to it (like gtk+ is) why are you
linking to it at load time? In general I think GUI apps should be
designed to load up as fast as possible, lazily loading and processing
as much as possible.

In this specific library case, since the API is so simple and you
don't know you need it until you somehow check your app's settings
it's a no-brainer really.

Rui