Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 21:11 +0200, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> Isn't that what nfs does? Or for that matter, ftp? I don't understand
> why a web server is needed for sharing files.

WebDAV is supported natively with Bonjour/Zeroconf in MacOS X and
Windows, and is very well supported in GVFS and Nautilus.

We could just as well have implemented FTP, but it wouldn't have had the
same level of integration. NFS requires kernel level help, and the whole
protocol is dreadful. Implementing user-space NFS (be it on the server,
or the client side[1]) nicely is not easily possible.

Adding more protocols would be easy, but unneeded in my opinion.

[1]: See the nfs-*.[ch] files at
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-vfs/trunk/modules/