Re: DVCS

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:24 +0200, Zeeshan Ali Khattak wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>   I remember that at GUADEC, we were seriously thinking about
> migrating to git but the decision was postponed on Mark Shuttleworth's
> request. It's been some months since that and we are still stuck with
> SVN. AFAIK both git and bazaar have very strong supporters in our
> community so the only way I see out of this is:

This sounds dangerously close to choosing the colour of a bike shed, but
for what it's worth the only reason gnome-packagekit is not is in gnome
SVN is that I need git.

SVN is like marijuana -- pretty addictive, but git is like heroin. You
really can't live without heroin when you've got hooked.

I've tried bazaar, but it was too slow, and I had already had to learn
one DVCS for freedesktop and the kernel. Even if git is technically
inferior we should choose git just because these two big super-projects
have already given it the blessing and my tiny brain can't remember all
the commands for two different systems.

So, if you migrate to git, +1 from me. If you migrate to something that
isn't git, you better have a pretty compelling argument.

Richard.