Re: DVCS

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 23:23 +0100, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2008/10/28 Mikael Hallendal <micke imendio com>:
> > I can't really see us coming to a consensus on this topic. Even after a vote
> > we would have people continuing to use Bazaar if Git win and vice verse.
> > GNOME is by nature a distributed project with a lot of sub modules,
> > maintainers and thus preferences.
>
> I think that is doubtful. Most people do not care what VCS GNOME uses.
> For those who care, and like DVCS, their opinions are probably
> something like this:
>
> svn 10 points
> git 100 +/- 5 points
> hg 100 +/- 5 points
> bzr 100 +/- 5 points
>
> That is, it doesn't really matter what DVCS GNOME uses. They are all
> great systems, all superior to svn. There _may_ be people who have
> their favorite DVCS and would be deeply unhappy if their alternative
> didn't win, but I think they are in a very (very) small minority, if
> they even exists. I think keeping the GNOME developer environment
> coherent is much more important than appeasing to individuals
> preferences.
>
> Just have a vote about it. Voting is fun, encourages participation and
> involvement, so make as many people eligible as possible.

Why don't we put out a preliminary, non-binding poll to
all active account holders?  Something like this:

  Stuff I actively do (check all that apply):
  [ ] Active development of some set of modules
  [ ] Cherry-picking bug fixing on lots of modules
  [ ] Usability work on lots of modules
  [ ] Accessibility work on lots of modules
  [ ] Documentation
  [ ] Translation

  My take on VCS for Gnome:
  ( ) Keep svn
  ( ) Switch to git
  ( ) Switch to bzr
  ( ) Switch to hg
  ( ) Switch to anything distributed
  ( ) I just don't care
  ( ) Can I have cvs back please?

The first question allows us to look at the numbers
for interesting cross-sections of our contributors.
Maybe there are other questions that would give us
some meaningful breakdowns.

--
Shaun