Re: Debian-specific patches for the GNOME packages

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
> 2008/9/11 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>:
>> Le jeudi 11 septembre 2008 à 09:01 -0400, Luis Villa a écrit :
>>> Is anybody regularly reviewing/triaging those? I assume no, right?
>>> 'twould be a great project for somebody.
>>
>> We are trying to forward all those that are relevant for upstream in
>> bugzilla, but given this is a manual process, we often forget some.
> I was thinking more on the GNOME side- if the distributors are doing
> an inevitably mixed job of getting things back upstream, maybe we
> should encourage a person or team of people to pull/review regularly.

There's another problem here. While we try to push all bugs and
patches upstream from PLD Linux, we do have some patches that even we
don't know the purpose of. There are some patches that mention gnome
2.12 for example and they either still apply cleanly or were adjusted
over the course of time but no clean indication exists as to why they
do what they do. It's a horrible situation but sometimes the patch
authors are simply no longer around or the original description was so
brief that it no longer rings a bell.

Also I see we sometimes avoid sending patches for fixing redhatisms
(X-RedHat-*) in desktop files upstream and just patch them on our
side. Same for some other files desktop-file-install complains about.
Not sure about the exact reason but it might be possible that our menu
category structure is not a verbatim copy of upstream (some geniuses
at some point decided mc, bc and vim deserved a desktop menu entry in
PLD so I am too scared to check the rest of our customizations).

--
Patryk Zawadzki