Re: GSD should not housekeep the thumbnails

> I don't think f-spot needs to abandon the whole thumbnail spec. That's a
> bit dramatic.
We'd prefer not. Whatever the way we handle the thumbs, inside or
outside of the specification, it's gonna take a lot of space

> It's no big deal to modify the default MAX_AGE and MAX_SIZE settings to
> something that people consider "sane". Suggestions? Right now it's 60
> days and 64 MB, but I have no problem increasing them if there is a
> consensus. Would 6 months / 512 MB be more sane? (f-spot could provide a
> UI to adjust these.)
Whatever the MAX_AGE, at the time you're passing the threshold, you're
screwed.

About providing a UI, we're not in favor of that. A decent solution
could be to prompt the user with a UI like "the f-spot thumbs cache is
taking 90% of the thumbnail allowed space. Grow that threshold by
200% ?"

> Deleting thumbnails for files that no longer exist is not practical.
> You
> would have to read every thumbnail file to extract the png txt that
> identifies the original uri, then check that uri. Very slow. Plus,
> some
> people will not appreciate losing thumbnails for transient network
> shares or CDs/DVDs.
same for network uri like http;// ftp://

for more info on what the spec says about a possible cleaning tool as
implemented by the housekeeping
plugin : http://jens.triq.net/thumbnail-spec/delete.html

Stephane