Re: Prompting for passwords on the desktop?

wOn Thu, 2008-09-18 at 22:55 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Stef:
>
> > Is there a standard way or goal for the UI and behavior of password
> > prompts on the desktop? Besides having as few as possible, that is.
>
> There is Trusted Path to consider.  To meet Trusted Path requirements,
> any entry of the root password needs to be done via a trusted user.
> This means that the dialog would need to run as a special trusted user,
> and not as the user whose session is running.  Much like the GDM GUI
> programs are run by the special "gdm" user.  Otherwise, someone who has
> gained a user privilege could possibly snoop process memory space to
> get the root password.

Someone who has gained a user privilege could possibly show a fake
password input dialog that looks exactly like a "real" password prompt,
thereby learning the root password.

Same thing with VT swiching.  It shouldn't be hard to make the it look
like we are switching VT from a simple X11 program running as the user.

If the local user account has been compromised it seems to me that all
hope is lost.  So I don't really see the point of all this Trusted Path
complexity.

But I'm no security expert; I might be missing something.