Re: Prompting for passwords on the desktop?

Le lundi 22 septembre 2008 à 11:54 +0200, Steve Frécinaux a écrit :
> 2008/9/18 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>:
> > One way to avoid annoying the user is to establish a line like "a
> > password prompt should only pop up immediately after a user action".
> > This way it appears only while you are expecting to type a password.
> >
> > Good behavior: you click on "send mail" in evolution, and it immediately
> > prompts the GPG passphrase.
> >
> > Bad behavior: still in evolution, when an IMAP server stops responding,
> > a pop up comes out of nowhere and asks for your password, whatever you
> > were doing at that moment.
> >
> > Moderately bad behavior: you connect to a slow remote server in
> > nautilus, and 10 seconds later it asks for a password.
> >
> > Of course, it looks very hard to find correct ways to implement password
> > prompts without having them popping up at unexpected times, but that's
> > at least what we should try to achieve.
>
> We could have such a behaviour:
>
> - if the application requesting the password is focused, then show the
> modal dialog directly.
> - if not, then have an icon in the notification area or something like that.

That’s certainly a good start, but it is not enough. For example if you
are writing an email in evolution and it suddenly asks for a password
while reconnecting, it is quite annoying.

I really think the good criterion is not “has focus” but some “action
triggered by the user less than 1 second ago”.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.