Re: GTK adjustement changes create incompatible behaviour between versions?

2008/9/20 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>:
>> This is not true. See #307963. From the gtk 2.12 documentation for
>> GtkAdjustment:
>>
>> "The page size of the adjustment. Note that the page-size is
>> irrelevant and should be set to zero if the adjustment is used for a
>> simple scalar value, e.g. in a GtkSpinButton."
>
> ... and the documentation.
>
> both are telling you that you should set the page_size to 0 for
> SpinButtons or sliders.

The operating word is "irrelevant" meaning inconsequential, not
affecting, no impact. Please see the bug report I linked to, it
discusses this problem. Previously it was irrelevant whether page_size
was set to 99999 or 0 for GtkSpinButtons, now it matters => breakage.

> the documentation for GtkAdjustment already says that the accepted value
> range is [lower, upper - page_size]. the enforcing apparently breaks
> broken application accessing the GtkAdjustment data structure -
> something gtk+ cannot prevent.

That accessing the struct attributes in GtkAdjustment is broken needs
to be spelled out more clearly. The documentation does not say that it
is wrong.

--
mvh Björn