Re: Application names

On 8/8/09, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:
[...]
> #1 - If "Name" is branded, don't mark it for translation.
>
>         Here is any reason to have a simple "Rhythmbox" string marked as
>         translatable? A simple s/_Name=Rhythmbox/Name=Rhythmbox should
>         be fine

Some translators actually transcribe application names into their
native script, so as to make the user experience from menus and docs a
lot more native, instead of unnecessarily mixing latin script and the
native script all over the UI.

I'm personally not sure it is always a good idea, but I don't want to
open that can of worms again. Arguably it has both drawbacks and
benefits.

In any way, anyone who would want to debate this should probably toss
in a cc: to gnome-i18n so the relevant people gets to explain.

Christian