Re: Application names

Le samedi 08 août 2009, à 17:51 -0400, William Jon McCann a écrit :
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Frederic Peters<fpeters gnome org> wrote:
> > However for compatibility reasons, I have been interested by Colin
> > Walters comments:
> >
> >  | If we change the Name field now, concretely it will be a huge pain for
> >  | application writers because if their app is used on older GNOME
> >  | releases it will fail.
>
> Last I talked to Colin he was satisfied after he updated my patch in
> bugzilla for the panel.  I think he was overstating the problem a bit
> though.  The point is we have to fix the names for the shell, for KDE
> compatibility, and to honor the spec.  Any apps that honored the spec
> will be fine, and any apps that followed our unwise advice to make
> Name use Name+GenericName are fixed by Colin's latest patch.

Two questions:

 + unless I missed something, Colin's patch is for gnome-panel only.
   What about "Open With", and all the other places where we display the
   applications?

 + translators have stated that it's wrong to do "Name - GenericName"
   programmatically. So, hrm, why would we not listen to them?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.