Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 16:11 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Jamie
> McCracken<jamie mccrack googlemail com> wrote:
> >
> > we could use the Gtk Recent files stuff for this and that would work for
> > ordinary users but not devs fetching source code or other command line
> > stuff
>
> Unless it's really REALLY compelling and fast, I don't want my source
> code in any kind of database, at least by default.  We should leave
> this to IDEs.
>
> The important files to index are word processor documents, graphic
> files, PDFs, web browser downloads.  Recent files could be used for
> this with a bit of work (i know Firefox would need a patch at least).

I do agree with this although the existing recent files stuff is
inadequate

What we would need though is a log file (can be ring buffer) with
timstamped entires of all files (excluding source code) that have been
opened, closed, moved or deleted. Then we could just watch that and
check it on startup to see if anything has changed since last tracker
session without the need to do any crawling

jamie