Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 18.08.09 18:43, Martyn Russell (martyn lanedo com) wrote:

>>> Well, for a start, we don't index . prefixed directories, so for
>>> applications that want to store their bookmarks, contacts, etc they can
>>> use tracker for that. The Nepomuk ontology describes all of that and how
>>> the data relates. Those updates do not come from file system updates,
>>> they come from applications sending us data.
>>
>> I guess a problem here is that nobody except the Tracker people
>> themselves even know what an ontology or Nepomuk actually is. Just
>> throwing around buzzwords that nobody understands doesn't really help
>> dumb people like me actually get a grip on what tracker actually is,
>> and help them understand that it isn't what they thought it was.
>
> You could say the same about pulseaudio  ;)

Not sure this really compares that well...

I didn't really play buzzword bingo that much, I guess. I often use
words like 'glitch-free' and stuff, but at least I wrote a couple of
blog articles about it, explaing what is supposed to be. Still waiting
for a really good explanation on planet gnome what ontology or nepomuk
was.

It doesn't matter that you explain to everyone and his dog what
tracker is about, but it would be good if at least the desktop-devel
folks would understand what it was about. And as I read the comments
here I am not the only one who doesn't.

(but then again, this is of course a matter of perspective. Maybe I
never did a better job explaining what PA is about then you did with
explaining what Tracker is -- but then again I never tried to make PA
a module of GNOME...)

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net