Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 21:43 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 15:12 -0400, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 20:57 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > Epiphany does not share its metadata with anyone else nor can you cross
> > query it
> >

> I believe that gnome do and/or deskbar do it quite well w/out tracker.

Let's ask the GNOME Do and Deskbar people about this? Would a system
like Tracker help the projects?

> > > Hmm, I cannot really parse this either.

> > > Hmm, why should this be in tracker? not in gvfs?
> >
> > flickr/facebook
> >

> Sorry. But I don't have English parser good enough to parse it.

I'm afraid that just like Lennart you aren't trying to parse it. And
therefor is Jamie right that it's not productive to go on about this.

To end it the way the person you are copycatting ends his sentences:
seriously.

> As far as understood tracker is designed to be something like WinFS. So
> I operate in terms of peoples, tags and objects instead of folders and
> files.

> So user do not think "Wait, where I get the information when I meet
> Joe's to drink a beer or two" but I search "message from Joe containing
> meet" which gives back all messages from Joe containing meet.

Free text search is just one possible way to get such a list. The
relationships between resources is going to be the most common way to
access related resources.

You wont necessarily search, you will select "Joe" in a list and then
you'll provide what it is about Joe that you want (E-mails, Friends,
Photos, Locations, Documents, Chat logs).

That's not the same as typing in a search term. Although free text
search can be utilized to further fine tune a result-set. But not
usually as the primary or only criteria entered by the user.

Note that it's rare that you have zero context about what the user
expects to see next. I guess the only use-case for that is google-com.

Which is a nice use-case, but most definitely not the only one. And even
for google-com is the context: I want web resources that aren't private
but will interest me, if I'm logged in. That's not zero-context.

> Or - I've seen a picture of myself and my schoolmate/workmate/soulmate
> etc. in some situation (school trip, conference etc.) but where it was.
> I enter "picture of (me and Alice) tagged London" - and here it is - it
> was posted on Facebook/Flickr (is in epiphany cache?).

Sure

> Cool - for sure. Useful - I don't think so - however I may be wrong. I
> guess that we should wait until 0.7 release and have it as optional
> dependency or set of plugins. If it is good enough - we should include
> it.

ok

Thanks for your opinion.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be