Re: Tracker, Zeitgeist, Couchdb...where is the problem ?

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 23:02 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Matthias
> Clasen<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> > I think this recent discussion about tracker as a gnome module is
> > somewhat backwards. I don't think it is leading us anywhere to talk
> > about ontologies and rdf and events and timelines and metadata stores
> > and kernel apis before we answer the first question:
> >
> > What is the user problem that we are solving here ?
> > Can that be described in a paragraph ?
> > And if it can, is it something that a 'regular' user would recognize
> > as a problem he has on his computer ?
>
> How about:
>
> Zeitgeist - provide means to find previously accessed data.
>
> Tracker - provide a well-defined (not just name=value strings but
> something close to an actual RDBMS) schema and service so desktop apps
> can provide context for the data they present ("where did I get that
> file from?", "is it related to any other files?", "what other John Doe
> tracks do I have?").
>
> CouchDB - I have no idea why a desktop might need that.

it provides storage locally that can be automatically replicated to many
servers, so it is indeed very useful for desktop applications to provide
synchronization and replication of data to many computers. In fact, I am
thinking about proposing couchdb-glib and evolution-couchdb for
GNOME :-D