Re: Tracker, Zeitgeist, Couchdb...where is the problem ?

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 23:18 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:

> CouchDB: I don't really think it is needed. I'm not convinced - how many
> times do I need to change email client. Without proper definition of
> storage (such as FirstName vs. firstName vs ...) it won't help

we are defining the storage format (WIP still, but going on):

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktopcouch

suggestions for improvement are more than welcome

>  and the
> proper definition can be made w/out introducing networking (TCP/IP as
> IPC is not nice hack IMHO unless you want RPC).

it is indeed not ideal, and when implementing couchdb-glib (glib-based
API to talk to CouchDB databases, in case it wasn't clear from its
name :) I thought about providing a DBus API on top of the HTTP layer,
but it looked to me too many layers. Also, think that HTTP is used not
only locally, it is the same protocol to talk to both local and remote
databases, which is why HTTP is the chosen protocol.