advice drawing without window decoration

Hi All,

I want to develop a 'desktop companion' in a similar vein to:
http://www.tversoft.com/company/DeskSoft/DesktopPlant.html
It will 'grow' according to the output of my auditing code.

Can anyone advise how I can draw to the gnome window system without window decoration (i'm currently using gtk.Window.set_decorated). I'm not sure about my window not appearing on the panel...

And I suspect that there is a 'right' way to do this - maybe along the lines of how my update manager tastefully alerts me to updates?

Any ideas much appreciated,
richard