Re: Help with strings for "solution" for desktop file "virus" problem

Le vendredi 20 février 2009 à 15:21 +0000, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> However, I do agree that it is a bit bad that you can be a target of an
> attack like this without really being able to realize it. So, my current
> plan is two-fold:
>
> 1) Only detect desktop files with .desktop extension. I.e. we never
> sniff them for files with no or an invalid extension.
>
> 2) Unless the desktop file is in a system directory or has the execute
> bit set we don't show the custom icon and display name for the desktop
> file. (Instead we show the real filename, which will always be *.desktop
> per 1 above, and the standard "shortcut" icon.)

Aren’t you forgetting:

3) When you DnD a trusted desktop file to the desktop or create the
launcher yourself, it is marked automatically as trusted.

> Furthermore, when you lauch a non-trusted desktop file we open a dialog
> where giving some info, plus letting you launch it, mark it executable
> (if you have the perms) or cancel.

I agree with the previous remarks about allowing the user to override
the policy being bad. Instead, we should just do a migration step on
the .desktop files on the desktop upon upgrade, and mark somewhere (in
GConf or in a hidden file) that this doesn’t have to be done anymore.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :