Re: Seed 0.3

Hi,

I'm not sure how helpful Seed could be in directly supporting firefox
extensions (as I gather this would be a rather monumental task), however
in providing a JavaScript API which enables the easy writing of rich
extensions, Seed could be very useful. In effect, Epiphany could expose a
small GObject based API, which Seed would transparently be able to use,
in tandem with all of the GNOME stack (or whichever portions epiphany
desires to expose). It could also of course be possible to make some
higher level abstractions like Firefox has. While not directly running
firefox extensions by any stretch of the imagination, it might provide an
easier path to porting them while still reusing a lot of the code.

As for integrating web apps with GTK+ apps, I have thought about this a
little, and see it possibly having a nice use in that it provides a
programming interface which is comfortable to Web developers, so maybe a
small module could be written, that eases the task of mixing WebViews
with web apps (i.e. Google Reader) and native UI elements (Menu bar,
panel applet, etc...) with callbacks which can run JavaScript in the
context of the WebView, or manipulate the DOM or whatever. Seed also
provides a little Canvas implementation on top of Cairo (i.e. can be
constructed on top of any cairo context) for people mostly familiar with
Web development to play around with, and maybe this can tie in somehow.

If there is any interest in developing some sort of Seed based extension
system for epiphany, I would be interested in working with epiphany on
this, as I'm eager to start using JS/Seed as an extension language in apps.

==============Original message text===============